Quick Tips for Outdoor Entertaining Made Easy
Photo: Maegan Tintari, Flickr Creative Commons
What a state we live in! One second, we’re all walking around in knee-length parkas, praying the next snowstorm will blow out to sea, and the next second we’re having to slather on sunscreen to survive an afternoon at the park.
At least now that the hot weather has arrived, we can all dust off our outdoor furniture and start entertaining outside again. If you love having get-togethers on your patio or deck, you’ll also love our list of quick tips for better, easier backyard get-togethers. Happy grilling, from all of us here at Norman Carpet one!
- Umbrella. Big, bold, patterned umbrellas are in this season! These won’t just keep the sun off you; they’ll define the tone of your outdoor space, so go big or go home.
- Seating. One of the great things about partying outside is that things don’t have to be so formal. Use big, puffy cushions on the chairs to encourage guests to relax, and don’t be afraid to mix and match with different styles of seating. Short on chairs? Tree stumps make easy supplemental seating and keep with the outdoor vibe.
- Food. The casual mood extends to the entrees. Cold, sparkling drinks and simple foods are the best option. Think salads, fresh fruit, and little savory bites for muggy evenings outdoors.
- Essentials. Here’s a fun tip — stock the essentials like plates, utensils, and glasses onto a bar cart and wheel it back into the kitchen when supplies run low.
- Insects. One of the hardest things about outdoor shindigs are that bugs want to make a feast of your guests and food. Use a two-part strategy to combat these pests. First, surround the perimeter of the party area with citronella candles. Then, use wire mesh colanders to cover food.
- Burgers/Steaks. Help guests choose their dishes by marking rare burgers and steaks with popsicle sticks or toothpicks.
- Decorating. Think natural, easy, and pretty. Floating flowers in glass bowls of water make for beautiful centerpieces, and colorful buckets of sunflowers really pop wherever they’re placed.
- Lighting. There’s something about candles and other natural lighting that’s just right for outdoor parties. But if you’re concerned about wind or dripping wax, invest in some battery-operated candles for the same soft ambience without the worries.
- Flooring. When it comes to patio flooring, many of our customers love our outdoor carpet! It makes those backyard spots just a little cozier, and feels great underfoot if your guests are coming back from the pool for some refreshments. Come to our store to explore our high-quality, affordable options!
Thanks for keeping up with Norman Carpet One, everyone’s favorite Montgomery County flooring store. Come see us for more decorating tips at one of our amazing showrooms in Bryn Mawr or Conshohocken!